Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Army 10-Miler

Well, I've been avoiding this post for a while, but it's probably time to divulge more about this weekend's grand event. 





Katmcd, MB, and I will be doing the Army 10-Miler this Sunday.  Now back in April, we had all signed up for this race and the Marine Core Run Amuck, which I talked about here and here.  I have no idea what I was thinking when I signed up.  Maybe I thought that I'd get into running shape and follow a real training plan.  Maybe I thought I'd start to enjoy running.  These things never happened. 

I'm really not a runner.  I never have been.  I just get so bored by running, and then my knee hurts (I had full ACL reconstruction in 2005), and then I'm tired.  I've been a sport-with-a-ball athlete my entire life.  Volleyball, softball, soccer, basketball.  None of these included long distance running.  And I've always said, I'm slow at running, but put a ball in front of me, and I guarantee that I'll run a bit faster.  (Hahah, that could go in a different direction....oops)  And let's just throw in that I've only run 1 race in my entire life and it was a 5K on Thanksgiving day in 2008.

MB is a runner.  She did her first 10 mile race this spring/summer at the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler.  I know MB will run a lot of this race and she'll want to go faster than us, but I really appreciate that she wants to start with us.  She'll sit back and wait for katmcd and I's "corral" to start.  Katmcd, like me, will admit that she's not much of a runner.  We joke about our lack of running desire a lot, but like me, katmcd likes to run in soccer and other sports. 

After weeks of freak-outs about this event, I think we've decided that we're going to run as much as we can, and then walk when we need to and just enjoy the race.  That's the best way to look at it right? 

We'll all go to brunch and watch football afterwards and try not to die.  I'm honestly getting really excited, but I'm also horribly nervous.  This seems like a really intense event.  I just want to do my personal best.  Wish us luck!

No comments: